一道本不卡免费高清Ted Abernethy is the Director of Sports Administration in the School of Business. He has been a faculty member at St. Thomas University since 1995. Ted received a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Pittsburgh in 1978. He earned a Master of Science in Sports Administration right here at St. Thomas University in 1992. Ted completed his Doctor of Philosophy in Sports Administration at Ohio University in 1996. Current research interests include intercollegiate athletics, tennis and the legal aspects of sports. His teaching areas of interest include Sports Marketing, Sports Law, and Sports Governance at both the undergraduate and graduate levels of instruction. Ted is a member of the North American Society for Sport Management, the North American Society for Sport History, the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, and the Sport and Recreation Law Association. Reflecting his interest in tennis, he is also a member of the United States Tennis Association, the Professional Tennis Registry and, formerly, was the Head Men’s Tennis coach at St. Thomas. He has also served as Chairperson for the Department of Management and Undergraduate Coordinator for Sports Administration at St. Thomas. To remain active in intercollegiate athletics, Ted has served as Faculty Athletics Representative and Chairperson of the Athletics Committee at St. Thomas. Throughout his 30 years of experience in business, sports and academics, Ted has worked in manufacturing, professional and amateur tennis, and youth sports as a coach and athletic director. Ted lives with his wife of over 25 years, Cheryl, who also earned a Master of Science in Sports Administration at St. Thomas University. They are very active in their church, having prepared engaged couples for marriage for the Archdiocese of Miami for over 10 years, among other ministries. They are also very involved with teaching and coaching their young son, Brendan.
- Coming Soon
Ohio University Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education 1996
一道本不卡免费高清Athens, Ohio Concentration: Sports Administration
St. Thomas University Master of Science 1992
一道本不卡免费高清Miami Gardens, Florida Program: Sports Administration
University of Pittsburgh Bachelor of Arts 1978
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Major: Economics
一道本不卡免费高清1995-Present St. Thomas University Miami Gardens, FL
一道本不卡免费高清Sports Administration Program Director (2014-present)
Professor of Sports Administration (2003-present)
Associate Professor (2000-2003)
一道本不卡免费高清Assistant Professor (1996-2000)
Undergraduate Program Coordinator (1996-2014)
Department of Management Chairperson (2005-2007)
Teach (Graduate and/or Undergraduate) / have taught the following courses:
* Introduction to Sports Administration
一道本不卡免费高清* Sports Marketing and Promotion
* Intercollegiate Athletics Governance
* Negotiations in Sports Administration
* Facility and Event Management
* Legal Aspects of Sports
* Sports Administration Seminar
Advise Graduate and Undergraduate Students
Coordinate Sports Administration Internships
一道本不卡免费高清Coordinate All Aspects of the Sports Administration Program (Admissions, Scheduling, Personnel, Curriculum Development, Publicity, Recruitment, etc.)
Coordinate Student Experiential Sports-Related Activities
1998-1999 St. Thomas University Miami Gardens, FL
Head Men’s Tennis Coach
* Recruited and assembled team.
一道本不卡免费高清* Organized practices and scheduled matches.
一道本不卡免费高清* Coordinated schedule and budget with Director of Athletics.
* Led team to first national tournament appearance (1999).
一道本不卡免费高清1991-1995 Camp Walt Whitman Pike, NH
一道本不卡免费高清* Developed and implemented tennis program for 300 children, including instruction and tournament play.
一道本不卡免费高清* Supervised and scheduled staff of 10 instructors.
一道本不卡免费高清* Responsible for preparation and maintenance of an 11 clay court facility.
* Organized and scheduled intercamp team matches.
一道本不卡免费高清* Conceptualized and developed the largest intercamp tennis tournament in New England.
一道本不卡免费高清1991-1992 The Lipton Championship Key Biscayne, FL
一道本不卡免费高清* Involved in various aspects of Operations for both the 1991 and 1992 tournaments, including: special events, sponsor hospitality, ticketing, and communications.
* Set-up and monitored special events, including: charity functions, pro-ams, and the professional women’s “Street Match.”
一道本不卡免费高清1988-1990 Copy Castle, Inc. Philadelphia, PA
* Started quick-printing business.
* Selected location and designed storeroom.
* Established all aspects of operation including: general procedures, equipment, accounting system, work-order system, supplier accounts, marketing/advertising plan, etc.
一道本不卡免费高清* Sold business in 1990.
1986-1988 Germantown Cricket Club Philadelphia, PA
一道本不卡免费高清* Directed tennis program for the oldest and largest tennis club in Philadelphia with 40 grass, 15 clay, 2 indoor and 2 hard courts.
一道本不卡免费高清* Administered all aspects of tennis program including: setting policy, running tournaments and special events, coordinating with grounds crew, supervising pro staff and negotiating pro staff contracts.
1985-1990 Catholic Philopatrian Institute Philadelphia, PA
一道本不卡免费高清* Established squash program by developing clinics, leagues, and tournaments.
一道本不卡免费高清* Entered club into United States Squash Association to participate in local and national competition.
1978-1990 Twenty-Forty Corporation Philadelphia, PA
一道本不卡免费高清* Managed industrial manufacturing operation with 25 employees and over $1 million in sales.
* Produced custom loose-leaf binders, indexes, and related items.
* Performed all human resource functions including: recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, coaching, evaluating, promoting, and recordkeeping.
* Authored employee handbook and company policy and procedures manual.
一道本不卡免费高清* Streamlined production methods, particularly in the printing area, resulting in creased production and reduced costs.
* Established the bindery, expanding the product line.
一道本不卡免费高清* Revamped order processing system including work-orders and tracking methods.
* Negotiated agreements with key suppliers and contracted for purchases and leases of equipment.
* Called on key accounts and generated new customers, handling every aspect of customer service.
* Prepared graphic design, prioritized orders, and coordinated jobs from start to finish.
* Researched and implemented computerized accounting, inventory, and payroll systems.
* Diagnosed and solved equipment problems.
* Formulated and executed marketing strategy and plans including: establishing pricing policy, designing and producing brochures and direct mail pieces, and selecting vehicles for advertising.
* Prepared company budgets and projections, and consulted with the accountant on financial statements and payment of taxes.
* Represented the company at trade association meetings and conventions.
St. Thomas University:
一道本不卡免费高清* Department Chairpersons Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* NAIA Faculty Athletics Representative
一道本不卡免费高清* Academic Technology Committee
* Athletics Council/Committee (Chair)
一道本不卡免费高清* Educational Policy Committee
* Solicit Volunteer Sports-Related Experiences for Sports Administration Majors
一道本不卡免费高清– Technology Governance Council – Administrative Sub-Committee
St. Thomas University (continued):
一道本不卡免费高清– Rank and Tenure Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* Academic Policy Committee (Chair)
* Library Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* Catholic Identity Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* Catholic Studies Committee
* Grad School Library Database Sub-Committee
* Undergrad Spo-Ad Club Advisor
* Spo-Ad Undergraduate Program Team (Chair)
* Spo-Ad Graduate Program Team (Chair)
* Tourism/Hospitality Program Team
一道本不卡免费高清* Faculty-Student Retention Initiative
* Department of Management (Chair)
* Food Service Committee
* Wellness Center Task Force (Academic Chair) Student Activity Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* School of Business Transition Team
* Marine Industry Management Task Force (Co-Chair)
* Recruitment and Retention Task Force
一道本不卡免费高清* Wellness Center Academic Work Plan
* STU Alumni Committee
一道本不卡免费高清* Academic Technology Task Force
* Advisory Council for the School of Business, Spo-Ad Work Group
* Professional Development Committee
* Academic Technology Sub-Committee
* SACS Chapter V Athletic Report (Chair)
* Ethics Advisory Committee
SEARCH COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS:
一道本不卡免费高清* Sports Administration Faculty position (recommended Bob Epling)
* Head Baseball Coach
* Sports Administration Faculty position (Chair) (recommended Seok-Ho Song)
一道本不卡免费高清* Head Soccer Coach
* Department of Management (various positions)
一道本不卡免费高清* School of Business Dean Search Committee (Chair) (recommended Tony Villamil)
一道本不卡免费高清* Undergraduate Dean
* School of Business Associate Dean Search Committee (recommended Jim Bussey)
一道本不卡免费高清* Vice-President for Student Affairs
一道本不卡免费高清* School of Business Faculty (various positions)
一道本不卡免费高清PAPERS & PRESENTATIONS:
Factors Influencing Student Selection of Sport Management Graduate Programs in the United States. Presentation at the North American Society for Sport Conference, 1995.
Factors Influencing Student Selection of Sport Management Graduate Programs in the United States. Doctoral Dissertation. Ohio University, 1996.
一道本不卡免费高清The Relationship between Professional Tennis and Urban Youth Tennis Programs. Presentation at the Sport in the City Conference. University of Memphis, 1996.
一道本不卡免费高清Sport as a Tourism Vehicle. Presentation at the Sport in the City Conference. University of Memphis. Co-authored with Cheryl McShane, 1996.
Sports Administration Positions. Employment Digest, January 15, 1996. Quoted by David Volz.
Characteristics of Sport Management Graduate Students in the United States. Poster Presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference. 1997.
Revenue Enhancement, Making More Money at your Hotel. Cornell Quarterly. December, 1998. Co-authored with Bill Quain and Michael Sansbury.
Meeting Planner. Encyclopedia of Tourism. London: Routledge. 1999
一道本不卡免费高清Pitt-Pen State Rivalry is a Win for Pennsylvania. The Sporting News, September 30, 2000. Beaver County Time, September 24, 2000. The Duquesne Duke, September 21, 2000. Pantherlair.com, September 19, PaSportstalk.com, October 11. 2000.
一道本不卡免费高清Defining the Issues. Presentation at the Symposium: Keeping the Anger and Violence out of Youth Sports. St. Thomas University. 2000.
The Need for Officiating in Intercollegiate Tennis. Intercollegiate Tennis Association Newsmagazine. November, 2000.
一道本不卡免费高清Fickle Fans Scoop up Marlins Merchandise. Treasure Coast Newspapers, October 10, 2003. Quoted by Robin Pollack.
一道本不卡免费高清Fans Showing Their Love at Registers. Treasure Coast Newspapers, October 10, 2003. Quoted by Robin Pollack.
Team Appeal. Treasure Coast Newspapers, October 21, 2003. Quoted by Natalie Gergis.
Preferred Leadership Behaviors Among Various National Sport Teams in South Korea. Presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference. Co-Authored with Seok-Ho Song and David Scott, 2003
一道本不卡免费高清Interns: Volunteers or Employees – A Workman’s Compensation Issue. Presentation at the Society for the Study of legal Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity. Co-authored with Christopher McShane & Seok-Ho Song, 2003.
一道本不卡免费高清Grand Slam – By Whose Calendar? Tennis Life Magazine, March 2003. Co-authored with Seok-Ho Song.
The Economic Impact of the Florida Marlins. Recipient of the St. Thomas Faculty Development Scholarship Award. Co-authored with Seok-Ho Song, 2003.
Interns: Volunteers or Employees – A Workman’s Compensation Issue. Paper submitted for the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport. Co-authored with Christopher McShane and Seok-Ho Song, 2004.
一道本不卡免费高清The Impact of the Uniform Athlete Agents Act of the Regulation of Sports Agents. Paper submitted for the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport. Co-authored with Seok-Ho Song and Miguel Rada, 2004.
一道本不卡免费高清Does Antitrust Law Apply to the NCAA Regarding the BCS Practices? Paper submitted for presentation at the Sport and Recreation Law Association Conference. Co-authored with Christopher McShane, Seok-Ho Song and Hyun-Duck Kim, 2005.
The Field of Sports Administration. Presentation at the Annual Academy of Travel and Tourism Conference, 1995-2012.
Achieve More, Work Less; Overcoming Time Poverty. Presentation at the Club Managers Association of America. July 9, 2014. Co-Authored with Bill Quain.
Model for Future or Failure? Dolphins Build Unique Front Office. Palm Beach Post: January 24, 2015. Quoted by Hal Habib
The Future of Careers in Sports and Athletics. The Knowledge Review. April, 2018
* NASSM (North American Society for Sport Management)
NASSH (North American Society for Sport History) – SRLA (Sport and Recreation Law Association)
一道本不卡免费高清* BIA (Binding Industries of America)
* PIA (Printing Industries of America0
一道本不卡免费高清* Philadelphia Craftsmen Association
一道本不卡免费高清* Philadelphia Litho Club
* Graphic Arts Association:
* Professionally Certified
* Served on Neographics Committee
* Won the Neographics Gold Award (7 years consecutively)
* Professional Training with the following national firms and organizations:
* Graphic Arts Technical Foundation Pittsburgh, PA
* NSC Plastics Corporation Los Angeles, CA
一道本不卡免费高清* Cosmos Electronics Corporation Farmingdale, NY
* USPTR (United States Professional Tennis Registry)-Certified Tennis Professional
一道本不卡免费高清* USTA (United States Tennis Association)
一道本不卡免费高清* PTA (Philadelphia Tennis Association)-Past Board Member
* USSA (United States Squash Association)
* USJI (United States Judo, Inc.)
* Malta Boat Club (crew)
* Pitt Golden Panthers
* Maxwell Football Club
* ISHOF (International Swimming Hall of Fame)-Past Board Member